Episode:103Te Papa Collection:Pacific Cultures
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 5
Description:Fashions reflect more than passing fads. For many Pacific women, the clothes they wear can have a special significance. Riria Hotere learns about the dresses worn by a woman who has played an important role in supporting Pacific cultures in New Zealand.
Questions for students
- What does the acronym P.A.C.I.F.I.C.A stand for? You'll need to listen closely to hear it!
- What is the purpose of the organisation? How does it help women maintain their Pacific identities and cultures?
- Why does Te Papa have Tepaeru Tereora's dresses in its collection? Who could be interested in viewing the dresses?
- There are European influences as well as distinctive Pacific styles in the dresses. Describe the dresses in your own words, explaining the influences that you can see in them.
- How does your clothing reflect your culture and identity? Use the 'Connections and conclusions' response template to explore the connections you can make to your clothing. What can you conclude about the influences on the way you dress?