Episode:93Te Papa Collection:Art and Photography
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 7
Description:Te Papa has millions of collection items so the only way to show them all at once is online. And when those photos are in 3D, it's almost as good as being there.
Questions for students
- What problem does 3D photography solve? Is this a problem you have encountered in your own work? If so, how have you solved it?
- How does 3D photography help Te Papa present and communicate to visitors and researchers the meanings of items in its collections?
- Describe the process the photographer uses to make a 3D image from an art work.
- What does viewing a 3D image of the object in this Tale remind you of? Use the 'Connections and conclusions' response template to record the connections you can make between this and similar uses of technology in art. What conclusions can you draw about the ways in which technology helps artists to communicate ideas?
- Will technology like this ever replace real displays in museums? Would it be a good thing if it did? Why do you think that?