Recycled Plastic Art
Episode:91Te Papa Collection:Art and Photography
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 4
Description:When we recycle plastics we don't expect them to turn up as art! Which is good for the environment, but not always good for Te Papa's conservators.
Questions for students
- Why did people coming to New Zealand from other Pacific countries start to use plastics in their art work? Describe some of the materials they might have used traditionally. Why would they choose to use plastics instead?
- What do you think the items seen in this Tale were used for? What can you tell about the contexts in which they were made?
- What other art forms use recycled materials? What can you find out about the artist's reason for choosing to use recycled materials?
- Evaluate the skill and artistry that has gone into making the items shown in this Tale. Do they belong in a museum like Te Papa? Why do you think that?
- What ideas does this Tale give you for your own art? Use the 'Ideas' response template to develop some ideas based on using recycled materials.