Sister's Secret Stash
Episode:88Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 6
Description:What childhood treasures were hidden in the walls of Randell Cottage?
Questions for students
- Where is Randell Cottage and what is special about it?
- Why was Te Papa interested in the items found in the cottage? Why do you think 'everyday objects' are not often found in museum collections?
- Discuss items in your own home that might be of interest to a museum a hundred years or more from now. What will people in the future think about them?
- Compare the 'treasures' found in the cottage with modern children's treasures. Use the 'Then and now' response template to compare old and modern toys. Consider aspects such as the materials used, the way children use the toys, where the toys were made and approximate costs.
- Families many years ago were often much bigger than families these days. Why do you think family sizes are smaller now? Consider social, economic and health factors.