A Chiefly Sword
Episode:83Te Papa Collection:Taonga Māori
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 7
Description:Find out how a sword became an important symbol of peace. Matiu Baker shares with us the history of Te Rauparaha's sword.
Questions for students
- In your own words, explain how Te Rauparaha obtained the sword. Why was it given to him?
- Why do you think Te Rauparaha had the Otaki church, Rangiātea, built in the way he did? What did he want to achieve?
- 'Read between the lines' to explain what you can infer from the challenge Te Rauparaha put to the Ngāti Raukawa chief. What kind of relationship might the two chiefs have had?
- Use your own knowledge or carry out research to write a brief biography of Te Rauparaha. How would you describe his role in the history of New Zealand?
- What is an 'emblem'? Give an example of an emblem. Use the 'Words' response template to explore this and other words heard in this Tale. Words to consider could include 'legendary', 'charismatic', 'adversary' and 'survey'.