Episode:73Te Papa Collection:Art and Photography
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 8
Description:It isn't easy looking after negatives that are over 100 years old. Find out how Te Papa does it with the help of a giant refrigerator.
Questions for students
- Why is the photography collection kept in a chilled container?
- Examine the derivations of technical words in this Tale. Use the 'Words' response template to record and explore words. Examples could include 'negative', 'autochrome', 'collodion' and 'gelatin'.
- Using information from the Tale and elsewhere, make a timeline to show developments in photography. What advances in technology have made the biggest difference to photography? What changes have occurred in your lifetime?
- What constraints would the different methods used in the past impose on photographers? How are these constraints reflected through the subjects and styles of early photographs?
- Did you notice that some of the images are positive and some are negative? What does this mean? Research photographic processes to find out why and how different processes produce different kinds of 'negatives'.