Burn My Head in Heaven
Episode:72Te Papa Collection:Art and Photography
Suggested curriculum levels:6 – 8
Description:This episode is about Pacific artist John Pule's work entitled 'Burn my head in heaven'.
Questions for students
- What story does John Pule tell through his work?
- How do words and images work together to convey the artist's themes? Describe and discuss these ways. Would one word or image be as effective without the other? Why do you think that?
- Compare the use of words in this art work with the work of other artists who use words. Think about modern graphic novels and comics. Why are some works that use words and images considered art and others are not?
- What might colonisation mean to a person born in one colonised country and brought up in another? How do people interpret concepts such as colonisation, migration or identity. Discuss the different ways.
- What themes does Pule explore through his work? Do any of these themes resonate with you? Use the 'Ideas' response template to record ideas for work that may be inspired by a theme from this Tale.