A Soldier's Doll
Episode:61Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 6
Description:Dorothy Broad came up with a special way to keep her soldier boyfriend close while he was overseas during World War I.
Questions for students
- Who made the doll? Who used it? What was it used for?
- Where did the name ANZAC come from? What do you know about the key event associated with the name? How could you find out more?
- Communication methods have changed a lot since World War I. Use the 'Then and now' response template to compare several aspects of communication. Consider speed, convenience, privacy and reliability.
- The doll's maker replicated items a real soldier would wear. What are these items? Why do you think she did this?
- Why might small dolls have been sold as fundraisers for the war? Is this a practice we continue today? How does it compare with recent examples of public fundraising when New Zealanders are involved in international events?