The Art of Fish Illustration
Episode:57Te Papa Collection:Natural Environment
Suggested curriculum levels:1 – 4
Description:Rira Hotere tries her hand at scientific fish illustration, guided by Te Papa's expert, Michelle Freeborn.
Questions for students
- What are the purposes of scientific drawings? Who might use them, and why? Why is it important for scientific drawings to be accurate?
- What maths skills would you need to make scientific drawings? Explain how these skills are used.
- What art skills would you need? How are these skills used?
- Explain why the artist uses dots rather than other marks to indicate shading.
- Why are drawings used rather than or as well as photographs? Use the 'Comparisons' response template to show the similarities and differences. Comment on why someone would choose to use each form.