Episode:56Te Papa Collection:Natural Environment
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 5
Description:While most of us want to avoid lice, lice expert Ricardo Palma wants to add them to Te Papa's collection!
Questions for students
- What is a 'hitchhiker'? Why is this a good word to describe headlice? What does it mean to say they are 'nature's ultimate hitchhikers'?
- Why does the presenter say, 'Lice are the crème of the crème of the parasite world'? Research the life-cycle and ecology of lice. What features make lice so well-adapted to a parasitic life?
- The presenter calls birds 'flying zoos'. Why do you think birds would have so many lice compared with, for example, a furred animal?
- How are lice collected and preserved? Use a flow diagram to show the stages in the process. Why is Ricardo Palma considered to be a world expert on lice?
- Different chemicals are used in the preserving process. Use the 'Words' response template to record and explore the names of chemicals mentioned in this Tale.