Episode:55Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 5
Description:You often don't pay much attention to what's covering your walls – however, Te Papa's collection of historic wallpaper may have you looking twice next time.
Questions for students
- What does the expression 'to take something for granted' mean? How appropriate is it in this context?
- Explain what you understand about the role of conservators in caring for items such as these. What do they do and why do they do it?
- The presenter mentions fashions related to different decades or era. List these and see if you can fill in the gaps up till the present. What was the main 'fashion' in decorating for each decade?
- Do the styles of each decade reflect contemporary art movements? To what extent? Research major 20th century art movements and see if you can make connections between them and wallpapers of the same era.
- The narrator says some of the styles are 'due for a revival'. Select one paper from this Tale and use it as the starting point for exploring an idea for a new wallpaper. Use the 'Ideas' response template to record your thinking.