Episode:46Te Papa Collection:Taonga Māori
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 5
Description:Matiu Baker discovers the mysterious past of a precious child's cloak. The result, a poignant reunion between whānau and the taonga of their cherished ancestor.
Questions for students
- What is an ethnologist? What other words can you find that have the same derivations? Use the 'Words' response template to identify and explore other specialist or unfamiliar words in this Tale.
- Describe the clues the museum had to work with when they tried to trace the maker of the cloak. How was the presenter eventually able to connect the cloak with the descendents of Eterina, the cloak's maker?
- Stories and evidence about people and their lives can be passed on in many different ways. List three ways shown in this Tale. Explain how they work to pass on information.
- What other different sources of information and different ways of passing it on help us gain a picture of the past? Give some examples.
- What role does a museum have in piecing together information from the past and connecting it to the present? Why is this important?