Ann Verdcourt Ceramics
Episode:44Te Papa Collection:Art and Photography
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 8
Description:Christopher Columbus was one of the first Europeans to discover America. Ceramic artist Ann Verdcourt has brought his fascinating discoveries to life in sculpture.
Questions for students
- Why did Ann Verdcourt illustrate Christopher Columbus's voyage? What was the context for this work?
- What does 'figurative' mean in the context of art? Give some examples of figurative art. How is 'figurative' used in literature, for example, the use of figurative language such as metaphors and similes in poetry? Compare both uses and comment on them.
- Ann Verdcourt's brief was to create a work that celebrated voyages to new lands. How well do you think her work does that? Use examples from this Tale to explain your response to her interpretation of the brief.
- How would you respond to the brief to celebrate voyages to new lands? Imagine you could choose any kind of real or imagined land, past, present or future. Use the 'Ideas' response template to explore your ideas. Identify one idea you'd like to follow up and make some brief notes on how you might do this.
- What are the pros and cons of having a very specific brief and timeframe for creating a work of art? Explain your thinking. Suggest ways in which you, as an artist, would respond to the challenges of a brief like Ann's.