Deep Sea Fishes
Episode:42Te Papa Collection:Natural Environment
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 8
Description:Simon Morton discovers some of the deep sea's most bizarre creatures. It's as close to science fiction as we'll get without special effects.
Questions for students
- Listen for the scientific words used in this Tale. Choose three or four terms and come up with your own definitions. Use what you know of root words to help work out their meanings, then check them in a dictionary. Do you know other words with the same roots?
- What connections can you make to outer space or science fiction movies? How do these connections help you to understand more about deep sea fish?
- What challenges do deep sea fish face? How have they adapted to their environment? Compare these adaptations with those of another animal. Use the 'Comparisons' response template to record your ideas, then make a comment about your response to these adaptations.
- What does this Tale show you about the ways in which scientific knowledge is changing over time?
- What questions occurred to you as you watched this Tale? What questions were answered in the Tale? Where could you find more information?