Episode:40Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 8
Description:Wonder Woman isn't just a star in comic books. Simon Morton learns why Mary-Annette Hay was nicknamed the 'wonder woman of wool'.
Questions for students
- Why was Mary-Annette Hay known as 'the Queen of Wool'? In what period of New Zealand history was she famous?
- Identify some of the specialist vocabulary used in this Tale, including French terms. List them and explain their meanings in the context of the Tale.
- What methods did Hay use to promote wool? Describe a modern campaign to promote a local product that we take for granted. What impact do you think the campaign has or will have on buying behaviour and therefore on the economy?
- How significant do you think Hay's work with wool was for the New Zealand economy? Use the 'Key questions' response template to pose some questions about the place of wool in our economy. Find sources of information, including this Tale, and make notes to help you find answers to your questions.
- Wool has gone in and out of fashion over time. Identify some of the more recent influencers in making wool fashionable. What garments do you wear that are made of wool?