Play School Toys
Episode:36Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:2 – 5
Description:The famous cast of Play School make a curtain call, 20 years after their final show. But there's one important character missing – anyone seen Little Ted?
Questions for students
- What reason is given for Play School being such a popular children's show? When did it screen in New Zealand? How old would children from the original audience be now?
- Why do you think that the Play School Toys are kept as museum pieces? Why do you think they are some of the most popular items in Te Papa's History collection? Does this surprise you?
- How were the Play School characters made? How are the characters in many modern children's television shows made? What can makers of modern programmes do that could not be done in the 1970s? Compare three or more aspects that have changed over time. Use the 'Then and now' response template to record your ideas.
- What toys or television characters from your childhood will you remember most when you're an adult? To what extent do you think young children are influenced by the television shows they watch? Is this a good or bad thing? Explain your reasons.
- What connections did you make with your own childhood television watching? Did these connections help you to understand the Tale better? Why do you think this?