Banks and Solander Collection
Episode:34Te Papa Collection:Natural Environment
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 8
Description:Two hundred and fifty years ago the iconic silver fern first represented our country. However it wasn't on any sports shirt or flag. An actual piece of fern travelled to England pressed between pages from a famous novel.
Questions for students
- Make a note of the specialised vocabulary you heard and explore the meanings and derivations of the words. Check that you understand how the words were used in the Tale. Use the 'Words' response template to record your findings.
- Why does the narrator say, 'Don't add water!' at the end of the Tale? What does she mean?
- Compare the ways Banks and Solander worked with the ways modern scientists work. What is the same? What has changed?
- What does this Tale show you about the ways in which our knowledge of the living world is changing over time?
- Consider how we learn about the past. How important to you is the passing-on of knowledge? Why is that?