NZ Company Flag
Episode:32Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:5 – 8
Description:Riria Hotere discovers one of our country's oldest and most controversial flags. First flown on Wellington Harbour in 1839, will it fly again one day?
Questions for students
- What is the double significance of this flag? Explain this in your own words.
- Why do countries have national flags? What do they symbolise?
- Would this be good flag for New Zealand? Why or why not?
- Think about some of the flags used in New Zealand. List and describe at least three possible 'national' flags, and explain the history and/or meaning of each one. For each flag, state your own opinion on why it would or would not be the best national flag for New Zealand.
- Ask one or more key questions about this topic. What other sources of information will help you to answer the questions? Use the 'Key questions' response template to make notes from this and other sources.