Samoan Cricket Bats
Episode:30Te Papa Collection:Pacific Cultures
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 5
Description:Kilikiti is the national sport of Samoa. With the help of some huge bats Simon Morton discovers backyard cricket, Pacific island style.
Questions for students
- The presenter says kilikiti is 'a lot more than a sport.' What does she mean by that?
- What benefits does kilikiti bring to Samoan communities? What aspects of Samoan culture are reflected as people get together to play?
- What sports are played in your community? What are the similarities and differences between those sports and kilikiti?
- How do sports help to define a culture? Think about sports played in and between different cultures or countries. What role do sports play in cultural interaction? Use the 'Key questions' response template to record information from the Tale and other sources that will help you answer this question.
- What information in the Tale, combined with inferences you made, helped you to understand why Te Papa holds in trust a collection of kilikiti bats?