Replica Crown Jewels
Episode:28Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 5
Description:You don't have to travel to the Tower of London to see the Royal Crown Jewels. An exact replica is part of the Centennial memorabilia at the Museum of Wellington.
Questions for students
- What was the purpose of the Centennial Exhibition? Where and when was it held?
- What did you already know about the Crown Jewels and who owns them? Why do you think the replica Crown Jewels were a part of the Centennial Exhibition?
- What is the significance of the real Crown Jewels for New Zealand, now and in the past? Who do they belong to? When or how do you think they are used?
- Why do you think the jewels were 'lost' for so long? What was the point of restoring them?
- Think about a modern-day national celebration or event. How do New Zealanders celebrate now? What aspects might have changed since the 1940s? What aspects are the same? Use the 'Then and now' response template to compare aspects of celebrations now and in the past.