Ta Moko Panel
Episode:24Te Papa Collection:Taonga Māori
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 5
Description:Te Papa is home to a number of precious carved taonga, although none quite like the impressive three-dimensional faces of the Ta Moko Panel.
Questions for students
- What does it mean that the carver, Tene Waitere, was known as an 'innovator'? Use the 'Words' response template to explore this and other words used in the Tale.
- Why were these carvings made? What is your response to them? Make notes to share with others.
- What connections can you make between these and other carvings you've seen?
- How do we learn to understand and appreciate culture and heritage? Identify some of the ways. What can people learn from cultures that are different from their own?
- What went through your head when you watched this Tale? How significant do you think the Ta Moko Panel is?