Episode:23Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:4 – 6
Description:Riria Hotere discovers some racy togs from the 1920s. A time when wearing a bikini would have made you a criminal!
Questions for students
- What do you understand by the expression 'less is more'? How is it used in the introduction to this Tale?
- What are some of the disadvantages of the old-fashioned bathing costume? Are there any advantages?
- How did one important disadvantage of the old-fashioned bathing costume eventually help bring about change?
- What does this Tale tell you about how attitudes have changed over time? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why do you think that? Can you find a clue here to explain why Te Papa has bathing costumes in its collection?
- What do you know about the ideas and attitudes of different cultures when it comes to modesty? Use the 'Connections and conclusions' response template to record your thinking.