Episode:11Te Papa Collection:History
Suggested curriculum levels:3 – 5
Description:What happened if you were shipwrecked on New Zealand's outlying islands? Find a hut filled with treasures like biscuits, wool suits and leather boots.
Questions for students
- Note down the specialised vocabulary you heard in this Tale. Try to work out the meanings yourself before you check them in a dictionary. Use the 'Words' response template to record your explorations.
- Why were these tins of supplies so important? To whom? What is the significance of the supplies now? Why are they kept in our national museum?
- What has changed in our world that makes supplies like these no longer necessary? What would happen to the survivors if a ship went down off the New Zealand coast nowadays? Identify one or more aspects that have changed and use the 'Then and now' response template to record your ideas.
- Who might have or need emergency supplies nowadays? What would you find in a modern emergency supply kit?
- What questions occurred to you as you watched this Tale? How could you find out the answers?